March Maintenance Checklist
If you haven´t made a plan for your spring cleaning and fix-up projects already, now´s your chance. Winter´s almost over.
Spring clothing and accessories
Winter sports equipment
Gardening equipment, mowers, and supplies
Luggage and travel accessories
Check luggage and tags. Make sure you have a way to secure bags once airport security has gone through them. Also include:
- Address book
- Travel journal
- Money belt
- Packing list
- Itinerary with phone numbers
Prepare for vacation.
- Schedule time off.
- Make reservations and schedule flights for summer months.
- Depending on region, do spring yard clean up.
- Edge beds.
- Top dress and reseed lawns. Mow when grass gets to be 4″ high. Don´t mow it too short.
- Fertilize almost everything.
- Time to start transplanting cool season veggies to garden.
- Build arbors and trellises before transplanting or sowing seeds for vines and gourds.
- Cut back herbs.
- Organize your paper life.
- Root out and recycle old magazines, newspapers, and assorted mementos.
- Build a new file system or clear out old files that are past being useful.
Prepare taxes or have them
done, if you haven´t already. File electronically this year. If you owe, write
the check and prepare to mail…on April 15 and not a minute sooner.
As spring starts, check your
basement for cracks or leaks. If you see moisture, call a professional to check
it out. Many homeowner´s insurance policies no longer cover fungus or mildew
damage, so sealing basements is more important than ever, If it´s old,
stained, or just ratty.